Written By: Barry Laminack
Rumor also has it that the fight will take place at 205 and will be for the 205lb Legacy Title, currently vacant.
If the rumor is true, this would be Lewis’ first fight at 205 but he has hinted in the past he would fight at 205, and has said in the past that he could make the cut.
Both fighters hold a title with the IXFA. Hurricane Ike is the current light heavyweight champ and Lewis in the current Heavyweight champ. In the latest TCD.net Q2 2011 rankings, Ike is the #1 205’er in the city and Lewis is the #1 heavyweight in the city.
Lewis last fought on June 25, 2011 at Bellator 46 (the same card that Houston’s Adam Schindler fought on). Lewis lost a unanimous decision in that fight to Tony Johnson Jr.
Ike last fought on February for the IXFA, where he defended his title against Lex Pappas.
Neither fighter nor the promotion confirmed this rumor at the time of this writing, but Lewis posted this on his Facebook Wall:
“Derrick Lewis vs Ike on September 17 for the legacy 205 title and its going down in the ‘H’ baby.”
As of now, if the rumor holds true, the September card looks like this:
- Daniel Kim vs Mark Garcia
- Bubba Bush v. Josh Foster
- Lee Higgins vs Scotty Juares (originally slated for July 29)
- Ricardo Talavera vs. Rashon Lewis
- Chad Robichaux vs. Humberto DeLeon (125 lb. title fight)
- John Malbrough vs. Jeff Rexroad
- Jorge “Macaco” Patino vs Antonio Floress/Pete Spratt
- Derrick Lewis vs Ike Villanueva