News and Notes is a new feature for the site. Â As the Houston scene becomes more active, we want to keep everyone updated as to whats going on. Â If you know of some news that you think we should know about, us our “contact us” form HERE to send it our way.
Metro stars move to Paradigm
Mike Bronzoulis, Brian Melancon, Ray Trujillo, Carlo Prater, Tim Snyder James Moss and Jeff Rexroad have all left Metro fight club and are now training at Paradigm. Â The move is unprecedented in Houston, and immediately catapults Paradigm into the upper echelon of MMA gyms in Houston. Â Trujillo is also training with Bushi Ban.
“We all just felt is was a really good move for us as fighters and for where we are at in our career,” Mike Bronzoulis said of the move. “We’re really happy to be at Paradigm. We wish the best of luck to Saul [Soliz] and the Metro family.”
Bronzoulis added that since the move last week, enrollment and Paradigm hasÂ tripled.
Bellator 20 Results (San Antonio, Tx – May 27, 2010)
- Fernando Rodriguez def. Kenneth Battle (Hoger MMA) via rear naked choke submission – Round 2, 1:28
- Jimmy Flick def. Humberto DeLeon (Bushi Ban) via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Adam Schindler def. Brian Melancon (Paradigm) via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Complete results here
- Artenas Young (Hoger MMA) defeated Alexander Pappas via split decision
- Aaron Barringer (Hoger MMA lost via split decision to Rany Fuentes.
WEC 49 will feature two of Texas’ best
Will Campuzano and Kamal Shalorous will be headlining a packed card for WEC 49.
Jamie Varner vs. Â Kamal Shalorus
Josh Grispi vs. Â LC Davis
Chris Horodecki vs. Â Ed Ratcliff
Mark Hominick vs. Â Yves Jabouin
Eddie Wineland vs. Â Will Campuzano
Karen Darabedyan vs. Â Will Kerr
Wagnney Fabiano vs. Â Frank Gomez
Erik Koch vs. Â Bendy Casimir
Raphael Assuncao vs. Â Diego Nunes
Rafael Rebello vs. Â Chris Cariaso
Clint Godfrey vs. Â Renan BarÃ£o
Pillips status questionable
Cody Philips’ (Bam Bam Martial Arts) status for his next Muay Thai fight on June 11 against Alex Morono (Gracie Barra The Woodlands) is uncertain at this point as he found himself in the emergency room over the weekend. Â According to his Facebook, he has stones blocking his salivary glands.
In a conversation with TCD.net Phillips said, “The doctor laughed when I said I had a fight in 11 days. He told me my salivary duct could severe with minor impact and create cellulitis. I asked him if he had a fix for cellulitis. He said ‘yeah, but the pain is unbearable.’
I gave him a high five and said ‘so u are telling me I can fight, sweet!'”
Q2 Rankings set for release on Friday
Look for the Q2 2010 Houston area fighter rankings to be release on Friday June 4. Â There are many of the familiar names on the lists, along with many new ones. Â Expect changes and some controversy!
Rumor has it that…
- …Akira Smith (4oz Fight Club) is turning pro, and will make his debut with one of the national promotions. Â Names mentioned include Strikeforce, Bellator and WEC.
- …Strikeforce is coming to Houston sometime late summer!
- …UFC Fight Night is headed to either San Antonio or Austin.
Have some news about a Houston area fighter, gym or somebody else involved with the scene? Â Send it to use by using THIS FORM and we’ll include it in our “News and Notes”.