Written By: Barry Laminack
Legacy has released the initial card for their October 21st Legacy Amateur Series event. This card will see a change of venue from the Legacy norm (Arena Theatre) as it is scheduled to be held at the Verizon Wireless Theatre. As is customary for Legacy, they have loaded their intial amateur card with fights (26 if you’re counting at home), but as with most amateur cards expect to see a lot of the fights drop faster than a one legged man in a take down drill.
The card is absolutely STACKED with talent. For starters there are a total of three title fights scheduled. Eric Garcia and Armando Servin is going to be a great fight for the 155lb title. Servin is 5-0 and really strong (just ask Mike “The Truth” Jackson) but he will no doubt be matched in strength and skill by Eric Garcia. I give Garcia the advantage on the feet and it’s probably a wash on the ground.
Not to be outdone, Ricky Turcios and Joe Trevino will do battle as Trevino will put his 125lb title on the line against the exciting Turcios. Trevino is a very mature fighter (but still young) and is probably ready to go pro when ever he feels like it. That said there is probably no hotter, more exciting or explosive fighter on the HOU MMA amateur circuit right now than Turcios. Trucios is a Muay Thai wiz kid with devastating striking, but Trevino is very tough to finish and is with out a doubt the best and most well rounded fighter that Turcios has faced. Because of that, I see this one going the distance and earning Fight of the Night.
Finally Manny Lozoya will put his 135lb title on the line against Ramiro Cortina. Lozoya is coming off a loss vs Jacob Silva at Cage Combat 4. Lozoya dropped to 125 for that fight and it looked to me like the cut really affected him as he didn’t have that same pep in his step that I’m used to seeing. Cortina is a another Silverback amateur that has that “go forward” style that Silverback is becoming known for. Interesting note regarding game planning is that this will be Lozoya’s 3rd fight in a row against a Silverback fighter, his last two being title fights against David Armas and Jacob Silva. I think it’s safe to say Cortina will have plenty of help getting ready for Lozoya, lets see what he can do with it.
Not To Be Outdone
There are some outstanding match-ups on the undercard. Here is my list of fights that could give the title fights a run for their money for fight of the night:
- Mike Castillo vs Charlie Ontiveros
- Charles Lloyd vs Omar Khosravi
- Brandon Boyd vs Kolton Englund
- Nico Echeverry vs Adrian Yanez
It’s Good To See…
It’s good to see some familiar names on the card. Names like Jose Pacheco and Mike Castillo are guys who have potential but for various reasons have been out of action. It’s also good to see fighters like Kristy Kester, John Haydon, Kolton Englund, Brandon Boyd and Charle Lloyd back in the cage. They all have huge upside so it’s great to see them staying active and fighting.
Keep An Eye On…
It’s tough sometimes to know who to watch out for on an amateur card, so here are a few names you might want to keep an eye on.
- Robert Sanchez – He’s a submission wiz and the same guy that told me to watch out for Angel Huerta told me the same thing about Sanchez.
- Nico Echeverry– The ACS product hasn’t officially fought in the cage, but I’ve been watching this kid for about a year now. He’s skilled on theground, a good wrestler and has quick hands.
- “Angelus” McFarland – McFarland is a big strong guy and he’s been set to bust out on the scene for some time. He’s one of those guys that, if he can learn to control his agression and not get careless, could give many of the 185’ers in the city fits.
- Kun Kao (I think his real name is Alex) – He has a background in TKD and Muay Thai, so he’s got ridiculous kicks and lighting fast hands. Couple that with his high school wrestling and this youngster has all the potential in the world.
- Ryan Hollis – Hollis is absolutely explosive. He 4-1 and has already held a title. Expect big slams, good ground and pound and above avergae BJJ from the Relson Gracie standout.
- Charles Ontiveros – He’s got outstanding striking and is really fun to watch. He kind of reminded me of Angel Huerta when last I saw him.
Oct. 21st Legacy Amateur Series Fight Card
135 Adan Singletary (0-0) Cantu’s Self Defense vs Robert Lopez (0-0) Urban Jungle
185 Mike Eaglin (0-1) Elite MMA vs Jose Pacheco (1-1) Bushi Ban
135 Roberto Sanchez (1-0) GB Draculino vs Ceasar del Angel (1-0) KO Club
155 Nico Echeverry (0-0) ACS vs Adrian Yanez (0-0) Elite MMA
135 Jose Solis (0-0) 646 Martial Arts vs Mike Dunn (0-0) 4 oz Fight Club
155 John Hayden (1-1) Kingwood MMA vs Omar Hillail (2-1) GB Draculino
135 Chris Tornero (0-0) Texas Dojo vs Alex Stephens (0-0) Elite MMA
125 David Serrano (0-0) Bushi Ban vs Jonathan Stern (0-0) Mezger’s MMA
185 Raymond “Angelus” McFarland (0-0) Bam Bam MMA vs Alex Rendon (0-0) Urban Jungle
185 Ken Banks (0-0) GB Draculino vs Brandon Hurrington (0-0) Urban Jungle
160 Ruben Martinez (0-1) Silverback Fight Club vs Arturo Delgado (0-1) Team Bailout
155 Mark Carlisle (0-0) Bushi Ban vs David Cruz (0-0) Elite MMA
170 Sean Kennard (0-0) GB North Houston vs Alvin Amana (0-0) Elite MMA
170 Tyler Flores (0-0) GB North Houston vs John Paul Moreno (0-1) Silverback Fight Club
145 Kody Williams (0-0) GB North Houston vs Stephen Melendez (0-0) Unleashed MMA
145 Chris Bodron (0-0) GB North Houston vs Juan Gonzalez (0-0) Urban Jungle
145 Brett Gerard 145 (0-0) GB North Houston vs Quentin Kiper (0-0) Revolution Dojo
135 Zach McKay (0-0-1) Fly Combat vs Kun Lao (0-0) 4 oz Fight Club
125 Alex Ramirez (1-1) Bushi Ban vs Ryan Hollis (4-1) Hard Head Hitters
125 Audrey Alvarez Paragon/FCFA (1-0) vs Kristy Kester (1-1) 4 oz Fight Club
145 Brandon Boyd (1-1) GB North Houston vs Kolton Englund (1-1) Silverback Fight Club/RSKA
170 Charles Lloyd (1-0) GB North Houston vs Omar Khosravi (1-0) ACS
170 Mike Castillo (2-1) 4 oz Fight Club Fight Team vs Charlie Ontiveros 5-2) Hard Head Hitters
135 Ramiro Cortino (1-0) Silverback Fight Club vs Manny Lozoya (4-2) Bushi Ban TITLE
125 Ricky Turcious (2-0) GB North Houston vs Joe Trevino (3-1) 4 oz Fight Club TITLE
155 Armando Servin (5-0) Prevlasky’s Boxing vs Eric Garcia (2-0) Team Tooke TITLE
My Award Winner Predictions
Here are who I think could win our Made to Win “of the Night” awards
- Submission of the Night – Roberto Sanchez
- Knockout of the Night – Ryan Hollis
- Fight of the Night – Ricky Turcious vs Joe Trevino
Everyone seemed to enjoy it last time I did it, so here is a breakdown of the gyms represented on this card:
|Gym||# of Fighters|
|4oz Fight Team||5|
|Bam Bam MMA||1|
|American Combative Systems (ACS)||2|
|Cantu’s Self Defense||1|
|Gracie Barra Draculino||3|
|Gracie Barra North Houston||8|
|Hard Head Hitters||2|